Monday, April 20, 2009

Things I want to hear from the designer of my car...

From Sebastian Blanco at AutoblogGreen:

Peter Arnell, the chief innovation officer at Peapod Mobility, took us on a quick descriptive tour of the Peapod and said that the design was influenced by three things. Ready for the list? The reflection in Buzz Aldrin's helmet when he stepped onto the moon, a turtle and Darth Vader. Yeah, that's what we thought, too.

I am in full agreement with Arnell about the necessity of a vehicle designed on the basis of those three elements, and applaud Peapod Mobility for having the courage to stand up for what's right and do the job themselves. Looking at the final product, though, I can't help but feel like the moon helmet reflection element and the Darth Vader element were a little too fully integrated into the turtle vision. It just looks so damn happy, sittin' there like a bump on a log collecting sunshine in anticipation of a nice refreshing swim.



For those who want less happy turtle and more Star Wars, it seems to me that the only choice is Pugeot's new Capsule concept:



Peugeot's design perfectly captures AT-ST, while also incorporating a hint of wasp. But the happy turtle is gone. And so I wonder: can't we have something in between? I'll let you know if I find it...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

how cool would it be to have the job title 'chief innovation officer'????

Please Don't Eat the Sea Kittens